Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Artshow!

Tonight I got to experience the scrutiny of about fifteen 5th grade girls. Fun! ;-)

On top of being an amazing artist himself, Mikey also teaches elementary school art (sigh) and tonight was their annual artshow. He is, of course, the cute, young teacher who all the girls have major crushes on. So when I walked into the cafeteria tonight, I could feel them sizing me up, watching my every move and seeing if I was indeed good enough to be "The" future Mrs. T.... I think I just may have won them over. ;-) fingers crossed!

Anywho, this year's artshow just completely blew me away. The work the kid's produced was sooo awesome. Mikey worked so hard to put the show together (we were up until 1am Sunday night labeling over 700 pieces of artwork!) and it definitely paid off. It was so cute to watch all the kids anxiously pulling their parents by the hand over to show off their artwork. It definitely makes staying up until 1am labeling completely worth it. :-) So here are just a couple of images from the show. :-)


Here is "Mr. T." after overhearing a couple of the girls whispering about us. ;-)

_MG_2484

_MG_2467a

Giacometti sculptures:

_MG_2488A

And this last one here, yeah, a first grader made this. A FIRST GRADER! When I was in first grade I'm pretty sure I was attaching the legs directly to the head of the people I was drawing and gave them about 15 fingers on each hand. For real. Isn't this just amazing??

_MG_2470a

:-)

In other news, my veils came in yesterday and it's taking every ounce of restraint I have not to just be wearing them all day long. You know, like around the house, out to pick up dry cleaning. Is this normal?

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Ok CONGRATULATIONS MIKEY! The work is fantastic! I love the Giacometti sculptures especially (I see his work daily at the museum and your students' rival the originals)!

And Lauri--I can't wait to see you in your veil...and dress too!

Beautiful Moments Photography said...

That last one is amazing! Kids have something that as adults we have lost, I love the way they paint and draw!

Jean said...

Yay for Mikey!! Great job on an awesome art show!! That must've meant so much to the kids and parents. Woohoo!!

And they are SO talented!! I'm so jealous. :-)